Rabbi Zidni Ilma was revealed on the Prophet Hazrat Mohammad (ﷺ) by Allah (ﷻ) in Surah Taha, Ayat number 114 in the Holy Quran for the increase in knowledge.
Allah (ﷻ) is the main source of knowledge (Ilm), through this Dua, you can also seek knowledge from Allah (ﷻ) for better memorization or remembrance.
Students and children are especially advised to recite this Dua diligently to gain a better understanding of their studies and for the strong memorization of their syllabus.
In Islam, knowledge is considered an important factor of life, and there is also a famous proverb in Islam that says “Learn knowledge and Taught knowledge”.
Hazrat Musa (Alaihi Salam) was one of the Prophet, once Allah (ﷻ) said Him to go and learn some knowledge and understanding from Hazrat Khizr (Alaihi Salam).
They both get in a boat, suddenly a bird arrives and pecks its beak in the water, and drinks a drop. Hazrat Khizr (AS) said our knowledge is just a drop of water in the ocean, in comparison to the knowledge of Allah (ﷻ).
Rabbi Zidni Ilma Meaning
رَّبِّ زِدْنِى عِلْمًا
Prophet Hazrat Mohammad (ﷺ) was already given all the knowledge of this world and afterworld by Allah (ﷻ) but although the Prophet (ﷺ) was advised for this Dua.
This clearly means that there’s a lesson for the Ummah to recite this Dua if you want to increase your degrees of knowledge, consciousness, and understanding.
Rabbi Zidni Ilma means “O my Lord, Increase me in Knowledge” where Rabbi means ‘my Lord’ Zidni means ‘Increase me’ and Ilma means ‘In knowledge’.
There is no age limit to learning, a person can learn all his life and take knowledge of Deen (Islamic) and Duniya (world) both and should also share with others.
Hadith – Seeking religious (Islamic) knowledge is an obligation upon every Muslim. (Sahi Al-Jami: 3914)
Few Hadith of the Prophet Mohammad (ﷺ)
- The Prophet Hazrat Mohammad (ﷺ) said “may Allah (ﷻ) brighten a man who hears a Hadith from us, learns it by heart and passes it on to others” (Sunan Abu Dawud: 3660)
- The Prophet Hazrat Mohammad (ﷺ) said “A woman is married for four things, i.e. her wealth, her family status, her beauty, and her religion. So you should marry the religious woman (otherwise) you will be a losers” (Sahih Al-Bukhari: 5090)
- The Prophet Hazrat Mohammad (ﷺ) said ” If Allah (ﷻ) wants to do good to a person, He makes him comprehend in the religion (gives him the understanding of Religion)” (Sahih Al-Bukhari: 71)
- The Prophet Hazrat Mohammad (ﷺ) said “Allah (ﷻ) has forgiven my followers for the evil thoughts that occur to their minds, as long as such thoughts are not put into action or uttered” (Sahih Al-Bukhari: 5269)
- The Prophet Hazrat Mohammad (ﷺ) said “Any person who sins then performs ablution (Wudhu) correctly and prays and afterward seeks forgiveness of Allah (ﷻ), Allah (ﷻ) forgives him” (Sunan Abu Dawud: 1521)
Wazifa of Rabbi Zidni Ilma
This wazifa will help you in boosting your mind so that you can gain immense understanding and consciousness of Islamic and world knowledge or Ilm.
- Recite Durood-e-Ibrahim 3 times
- Then Recite Rabbi Zidni Ilma 125 times
- Then Again recite Durood-e-Ibrahim 3 times
Follow this wazifa every day and also taught your children to recite it. InshaAllah you will get rid of all the problems of weak memorization.